Skip to Navigation


Text Size
  • Increase
  • Decrease
  • Normal

Current Size: 75%

Centrelink—what it does

Centrelink is responsible for services and payments under the Australian social welfare system, including:

  • pensions
  • unemployment benefits
  • sickness benefits and
  • support relating to dependents.

Centrelink may investigate fraud or breach of conditions associated with these payments and entitlements, and may visit sex industry workplaces for this reason.

Centrelink may work in cooperation with other agencies, such as the NSW Police or Australian Tax Office, and may obtain information gathered by these officers during a visit, such as name, date of birth or address.

What you need to tell Centrelink if you are receiving any welfare payments

You do not have to tell Centrelink about the type of work you do, but you need to tell them about your earnings or income. You can do this in various ways such as:

  • earnings from working at [address of your workplace] or
  • earnings from working at [business name of your workplace] or
  • earnings from working as a self-employed person and provide an ABN if you have one, or
    sole trader working for myself.

You do not have to give the type of business.

If you want to state your occupation you can call yourself entertainer or performing artist. These are also accepted by the Australian Tax Office as categories that allow for some of the same tax deductible expenses, such as costumes, make-up and similar things.